In 2013, the director of the Orsini Chapel Study Center, Roberto Lucifero, asked for permission to restore the Passetto del Biscione at the expense of the Center.
In 2014, the head of the Artistic and Anthropological Heritage for the city of Rome approved the work.
The construction was carried out by a team of six people and was directed by Lucifero.
It lasted about two years and was recently completed.
The pathway was completely restored, cleaned, and the plaster and frescoes were redone as well.
The painting of the Madonna has been revived thanks to a copy made in great detail by the artist Raffaella Curti.
It is also important to remember that a Roman saying is connected to the Passetto del Biscione: “Go look for Mary throughout Rome” because the devotees of the sacred image of the Madonna had to go on a complicated search through the streets of the historic center to find this hidden passageway.
There is one last question regarding the name “Biscione
”, which has been the name of this area since the 15th century and means “big snake
It seems that there are two possible reasons for the name.
The first is the sigil of the Orsini family, which features an eel, and since their palace was located there, the neighborhood adopted that name.
The second suggests that there was a Hosteria
run by a family from Milan in that area.
On their signs they put a big snake which was the symbol of the Visconti family, who had been the rulers in Milan since 1277.